The Reason Vision Boards Work and How to Make One

By Silja Litvin 

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. – George Eliot

You have probably heard of the Law of Attraction, a powerful rule that provides the opportunity to attract your deepest desires and shape your life in accordance with them.

According to the law of attraction, our thoughts and attitudes act as a magnet that attracts events and opportunities. And one of the most powerful tools to attract desired things is visualization! According to the popular book The Secret written by Rhonda Byrne, “When you are visualizing, you are emitting a powerful frequency out into the Universe”. But how does that esoteric sounding information bite actually work?

The Reason Vision Boards Work and How to Make One

I’m not sure about the ‘emittance of powerful frequency into the universe’ part, but different labels often mean the same. Studies prove that visualization shows the best effects if applied through vision boards. A successful vision board focuses on things that you want, but more importantly, it emphasizes how you want to feel about them.

A study conducted in Harvard students in 1979 proved that setting clear goals and writing them down makes people more successful. The students were asked whether they have set clear, written goals for their future and made plans to achieve them. Only 3% of students had written goals and plans for future; 13% had goals that were not written down, while 84% of students did not have any specific goals at all.

Ten years later, the researchers interviewed the same students again. Their findings showed that the 13 percent of students who had non-written goals were earning, on average, twice as much as the 84 percent who had no goals and plans at all. However, the astonishing news was that those 3 percent with clear, written goals were making, on average, ten times as much as the other 97 percent put together.

Despite such proof, many people still don’t have clear and determinate goals to work towards. There may be a few reasons for that. Some people lack the understanding of the goal setting importance or don’t know how to set their goals. Additionally, another possible reason why people don’t set goals may be a fear of failure or criticism and rejection if they fail to achieve them.

Now that you know there is a potent tool to help you get farther in life than you are right now, you only need to know how.

How to Create Your Vision Board

  • To create your vision board, you need to identify your vision and try to clarify it as much as possible.
  • Focus on the things you want and add motivational words that represent how you want to feel about your goals.
  • Develop strategies on how to accomplish your goals.
  • Find quotes or/and pictures that represent your goals and inspire you.
  • Place your vision board somewhere you can see it and take time to look over it at least twice a day, preferably before you go to sleep, in order to prompt your subconscious mind to create new ideas on how to achieve your goals.

Benefits of Vision Boards

Visualization. One of the main reasons to create and keep your vision board is to visualize them, which helps you stay focused on your goals.

Incentive. Keeping your boards where you can constantly see them will remind you of your goals and motivate you to act towards accomplishing them.

Clarity. Vision boards will help you distinguish what is really important to you in life and what is not.

Happiness. Creating vision board will boost your self-esteem and make you more positive and happy.

Determination. Creating and posting your vision boards will constantly remind you of the things you want to achieve in life.

Action. A good vision board always inspires action (visualization without action will hardly make your dreams come true).

Vision boards can be a great way to clarify your expectations from life and strategies to accomplish them. They can increase your confidence, help you stay focused on important goals and motivate you to put effort to achieve them. And a bonus benefit… creating a vision board can be so much fun!

📌 Pin it!

Silja Litvin
Silja Litvin is a psychologist, founder & CEO of PsycApps, a digital mental health platform and developer of eQuoo – the Emotional Fitness Game. Her company uses AI, gamification, and chatbots to help people help themselves. Stay in touch with Silja via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
No more articles

100 000+ people follow Havingtime for daily inspiration, support, and motivation.

Get your FREE weekly havingtime newsletter on how to reduce stress, boost your self-esteem, get things done and live a much fulfilling life!

%d bloggers like this: